Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Milky Chance, Doughnuts and Deadlifts

Sooooo I finally got around to copping Milky Chance's album Sadnecessary. If you haven't heard of this band yet, you've probably heard their hit single "Stolen Dance" somewhere on TV or while shopping. My first impression of this song is that it's an accurate representation of where indie/alternative music is headed. Cool smooth vocals over mellow rhythms and bass heavy beats have taken over the airwaves and it's absolute earmilk.
Sadnecessary is, in a word, simple. Unfortunately the word "simple" tends to be bedfellows with "stupid," which is far from the case with this album. The lyrics are poetic, eloquent, clever and clearly well thought out. The music itself however is extremely minimalist and dare I say repetitive; almost every song sounds the same and it seems intentional. I imagine the band going to the studio, picking 3-4 song templates and writing all night to them. The end result is a fluid album reminiscent of listening to a new band going through a gig - no changes in guitar or synth effects, no switching pickups. Just raw, wonderful music.
Random side note; Doughnuts and Deadlifts has ruined me. I've always been a proponent of IIFYM but now thanks to Krissy Mae Cagney I have a specific object of my flexible diet affections. Besides, I'm a pretty good deadlifter, 565lbs with no dedicated programming and no time to really work out. ✊ That delicious combination just sort of made sense for me.
And so here I stay, constantly perusing Instagram in search of my first shirt or hoodie that I'm soon to purchase and getting ravenous doughnut cravings at work. (Un)fortunately, I'm also 2 minute drive from Dunkin Donuts so today I picked up these bad boys!

...well, actually I ate them before I got the chance to take a pic . Anyway they were delicious, and I used them as fuel for today's WOD.

7:37 Rx'd, not bad for all the mess ups. Cheers! ✌

No comments:

Post a Comment